embark Orientation at UNC Asheville is the first and most important step in becoming a Bulldog and is required for success at UNC Asheville. During embark, new students learn about academic advising, registering for classes, campus resources, and much more. Each embark session is packed with fun activities and chances to meet other new students. embark employs UNC Asheville students to assist with helping new students meet other new students, learn about campus resources and social activities, and navigate the curriculum requirements, and find their niche here.
For more information, please contact us at email@example.com or 828.232.2417.
Check out our orientation handbook as it serves as a great resource for what is to come during orientation.
Review the information listed below to get more information about embark orientation!
A non-refundable orientation fee is placed on the student account as part of tuition and fees once a student registers for classes.
As such, you do not have to pay for embark before registering to attend since it will automatically appear on your student bill.
The Orientation fee is $150 per student, which covers the cost of food, materials, and programming during embark . Students who attend embark orientation, but subsequently do not attend UNC-Asheville, will still be billed for the orientation fee.
embark Orientation Sessions
The embark orientation session for all incoming Spring 2014 Freshmen, Transfers, and Post-Baccalaureate students seeking a 2nd degree is Friday, January 10, 2014 from 9 am - 3 pm. Once you complete your enrollment deposit, you will receive additional information, which will be sent exclusively to your UNC Asheville email account, about the Online Advising and Registration (OAR) course, course registration, and tips to help you prepare for the upcoming semester.
New Students Living On Campus
New students who have on-campus housing will have the opportunity to move into their residence halls on Thursday, January 9, 2014 from 9 am - 3 pm at the front desk located in Governor's Hall.
The check-in process requires 2 steps:
- Go to Governor's Hall to receive your check-in packet and room key. Check out our campus map here.
- Go to the OneCard Office to have your OneCard created. Your need your OneCard in order to gain access into your residence hall. The OneCard Office is open from 9 am - 5 pm on that day, so you are welcome to have your OneCard created before or after you check-in at Governor's Hall. Just be sure to visit the OneCard Office (located on the bottom level of Highsmith Union) by no later than 4:30 pm on Thursday, January 9, 2014 to ensure you have your OneCard created before their office closes at 5 pm.
Dining facilities will be closed on Thursday, January 9th. If you are a new student who will move into your residence hall on Thursday, you will need to make your own plans for meals on that evening. Meals will be provided for embark attendees on Friday, January 10th. The dining hall will officially open on Saturday, January 11th for breakfast.
Transfer and Post-Baccalaureate Students Only:
Quick Start sessions are meant for transfer students who are unable to attend the full session on Friday, January 10. This truncated Quick Start session will move quickly and will require its attendees to adhere to the following guidelines.
Quick Start guidelines
We offer Quick Start sessions to transfer students only.
In order to be eligible for these sessions, you must complete the Online Advising and Registration (OAR) Course before your Quick Start session.
- After successfully completing the Online Advising and Registration (OAR) Course, you will have the opportunity to schedule an individual advising appointment with one of the OneStop Advisors before or after you attend an embark Quick Start session. Due to the abbreviated schedule followed during the embark Quick Start sessions, you will not be able to meet individually with academic advisors during Quick Start. Therefore, it is important for you to schedule an individual appointment with a OneStop Advisor if you have any questions regarding UNC Asheville's curriculum or course registration.
- OneStop will have more information for you regarding individual appointments. Please contact the OneStop Office at 828.350.4500. OneStop advisors will also be facilitating parts of the embark session, during which you will be able to participate in a Q&A session.
- When you submit your embark RSVP, you will be asked to indicate the number of attendees in your party, so be sure to indicate your spouse, child, parent, or significant other's attendance with you. There is no additional guest registration fee for guests attending any Quick Start sessions, but it is important to indicate their attendance to ensure sufficient seating. If you need to adjust this number after you submit your embark RSVP, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org to let us know.
Available Quick Start Dates:
Please note the registration closing date for each Quick Start session.
Monday, December 16: 5-8 pm (Registration closes December 11 at 5 pm)
Tuesday, December 17: 2-5 pm (Registration closes December 12 at 5 pm)
Monday, January 6: 2-5 pm (Registration closes January 3 at 8 am)
Freshman and Transfers and Post-Baccalaureate students not attending a Quick Start session:
In order to be eligible for this session, you must complete the Online Advising and Registration (OAR) Course before your Quick Start session.
Freshman embark orientation will be held on Friday, January 10, 2014. Incoming freshmen should plan on moving into their residence halls on Thursday, January 9, 2014. More details will be posted with information on obtaining your residence key and OneCard.
Friday, January 10, 2014: 9 am - 3 pm Registration: Freshmen, Transfers, and Post-Baccalaureate Students
Move-In Day for on-campus students - January 9, 2014
Please plan on moving into your residence hall on January 9, 2014. Your keys will be available at Governor’s Hall between 8 am and 4 pm. You will already have your residence hall assignments from Residential Education and Housing Operations. If you have not found out your assignment by move-in day, please contact the department at 828.251.6700. Please review the list of items for staying on campus, as well as the embark orientation FAQs to make sure you are ready for embark.
After you obtain your room key from Governor’s Hall, you will need to have your UNC Asheville OneCard made. The office will be open on January 9 from 8 am to 5 pm. You will not be able to access your residence hall without a OneCard, so it is vitally important to have it made upon your arrival to campus. To expedite the process, you will need to bring a copy of your valid driver’s license or identification card to embark.
The OneCard office is located on the lower level of Highsmith University Union, adjacent to the campus bookstore.
A parent embark session will be held during the full-day embark session scheduled for Friday, January 10, 2014. Due to space limitations, all guests must attend the parent embark session and all students will attend the student embark Orientation session.
Friday, January 10, 2014: 9 am - 3 pm Registration: Parents and Guests
Registration is required for parent embark on Friday, January 10, 2014. The registration fee for parent embark is $25 per guest. Please see our FAQs page to see what the $25 covers.
Please note that the parent and guest registration for Quick Start sessions is outlined in the above section, "For Transfer Students Only." No registration is required for parents or guests for the Quick Start sessions beyond the information requested in the transfer student's Quick Start registration.
See us on Facebook, get to know your Blue Crew, and ask any questions you might have!