embark Orientation at UNC Asheville is the first and most important step in becoming a Bulldog and is required for your success at UNC Asheville.
During embark, you will learn about academic advising, UNC Asheville's curriculum, course registration processes, campus resources, and much more. Each embark session is packed with fun activities and chances to meet other new students. embark employs UNC Asheville students to assist with helping you meet other new students, learn about campus resources and social activities, navigate the curriculum requirements, and help you find your niche.
Check out our orientation handbook as it serves as a great resource for what will be addressed during embark orientation.
A non-refundable orientation fee is placed on the student account as part of tuition and fees once a student registers for classes. As such, you do not have to pay for embark before registering to attend since it will automatically appear on your student bill.
The Orientation fee is $150 per student, which covers the cost of food, materials, and programming during embark . Students who attend embark orientation, but subsequently do not attend UNC Asheville, will still be billed for the orientation fee.
The first step you need to take is submitting your enrollment deposit to the Office of Admissions.
Once you submit your enrollment deposit, you will receive information about the upcoming semester, which will be sent exclusively to your UNC Asheville email account.
The email will include information about registering for embark Orientation, the Online Advising and Registration (OAR) course, course registration, and tips to help you prepare for the upcoming semester.
embark Orientation Sessions
All incoming freshmen enrolling for the Fall 2014 semester need to attend one of the embark orientation sessions noted below. Parent sessions will be held in concurrence with student sessions (scroll down to the "Parent embark" section at the bottom of this page for parent registration). Choose your embark session in accordance with your summer travel plans. After you check your calendar, register for one of the following embark sessions:
Session 1: Thursday - Friday, June 19 - 20, 2014
Session 2: Monday - Tuesday, June 23 - 24, 2014
Session 3: Thursday - Friday, June 26 - 27, 2014
Transfers and Post-Baccalaureates seeking a 2nd Degree
Incoming transfer and post-baccalaureate students seeking a 2nd degree need to attend a full day embark orientation session on Monday, June 16, 2014. A parent session will be held in concurrence with the student session, but a separate registration is required (scroll down to the "Parent embark" section at the bottom of this page for registration).
During the Full-Day embark Orientation session, you will participate in the following information sessions:
- Advising at UNC Asheville
- What Your Degree Will do for You
- Campus Tour
- Campus Resource Fair
- Personal Safety & Responsibility
- Academic and Departmental Information
- Managing Your Student Account
- Access to a faculty liaison for your intended major
Quick Start for non-trational Transfers and Post-Baccalaureates seeking a 2nd Degree
During a Quick Start Orientation session, you will participate in the following sessions:
- Campus Tour
- Review of highlights from the OAR course (specifically items that are pertinent to your transition into the UNC Asheville community)
- Overview of Student Life at UNC Asheville
- Overview of transition Student Programs at UNC Asheville
- Q&A session
Quick Start session 1: Wednesday, July 16 from 6 - 9 p.m.
Quick Start session 2: Wednesday, July 23 from 6 - 9 p.m.
Quick Start session 3: Thursday, July 31 from 6 - 9 p.m.
Next Steps for non-traditional transfer or post-baccalaureate students seeking a 2nd degree who attend a Quick Start session
- Submit your Enrollment Deposit.
- Register for a Quick Start session. When you submit your Quick Start RSVP, you will be asked to indicate the number of attendees in your party, so be sure to indicate your spouse, child, parent, or significant other's attendance with you. There is no additional guest registration fee for guests attending any Quick Start sessions, but it is important to indicate their attendance to ensure sufficient seating. If you need to adjust this number after you submit your embark RSVP, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org to let us know.
- Complete the Online Advising and Registration (OAR) Course. Information about this course was sent to your UNC Asheville email, but it can take up to two business days after you submit your Enrollment Deposit for it to arrive in your inbox.
- Schedule an advising appointment. After successfully completing the OAR Course, schedule an individual advising appointment with one of the OneStop Advisors for before or after you attend a Quick Start session.
Transfers and Post-Baccalaureates
For more information, please contact us at email@example.com or 828.232.2417.