America's colleges and universities play a critical role in ensuring that veterans have access to high-quality educational experiences and postsecondary opportunities. The 8 Keys to Veterans' Success highlight specific ways that colleges and universities can support veterans as they pursue their education and employment goals.
By affirming support for the 8 Keys to Veterans' Success, UNC Asheville is expressing its commitment to implement the promising practices outlined in the 8 Keys as follows:
- Create a culture of trust and connectedness across the campus community to promote well-being and success for veterans.
- Ensure consistent and sustained support from campus leadership.
- Implement an early alert system to ensure all veterans receive academic, career, and financial advice before challenges become overwhelming.
- Coordinate and centralize campus efforts for all veterans, together with the creation of a designated space for them (even if limited in size).
- Collaborate with local communities and organizations, including government agencies, to align and coordinate various services for veterans.
- Utilize a uniform set of data tools to collect and track information on veterans, including demographics, retention, and degree completion.
- Provide comprehensive professional development for faculty and staff on issues and challenges unique to veterans.
- Develop systems that ensure sustainability of effective practices for veterans.