Our Orientation Mentors, known as the Blue Crew, play a critical role in introducing new students to UNC Asheville and sharing their experiences as successful UNC Asheville students. They participate in a semester-long course, a regional conference in the spring, and a leadership training week in June in order to learn everything there is to know about campus and all the great ways to help you get ready to become a Bulldog!
During the summer, the Blue Crew assists our incoming students and their families in becoming the newest members of the UNC Asheville community, excited and prepared to come to UNC Asheville. The Blue Crew diligently works to ensure that our new students have a positive orientation experience.
Apply to be an Orientation Mentor, here!
For more information on application deadlines, interviews and how to contact Head Orientation Mentors with questions, please click here to view the Blue Crew Checklist
Benefit of Being on the Blue Crew
- Gain significant leadership experience
- Develop professional relationships with faculty and staff
- Acquire effective communication skills including presenting to peers
- $500 stipend, distributed in 4 payments (schedule to be determined)
- Team t-shirt, Polo, and additional swag
- Housing June 4 – 26 (tentative); majority of meals for training and orientation
Responsibilities of Blue Crew Members
- Participate in all orientation events and trainings
- Facilitate the transition for new students and their families to campus and community life
- Acquaint new students with campus services and building locations
- Prepare orientation materials
- Respond to questions, concerns, and anxieties of students and families
Qualifications to be a part of the Blue Crew
- Maintain a minimum 2.5 cumulative GPA
- Good academic and disciplinary standing with the University
- Returning student for Fall 2021 Semester
- Committed to the Blue Crew
- Able to work with a diverse group of people
- Be a role model
- Have an open mind and positive attitude
Requirements of Blue Crew Members
- Weekly class meetings for Spring 2021: time to be announced soon
- SROW: Virtual Orientation Conference, Friday, April 9th- Saturday, April 10th (all expenses paid)
- BLITZ training: Friday, June 4 – Wednesday, June 9
- Transfer Orientation: June 11 and August 14
- Four 2-day First-Year EmBark Orientation Sessions: June 14th-June 25th
- Live in the residence halls for BLITZ training and Orientation sessions (provided)
- RendezBlue: August 13-15
- Other team-building activities throughout the Spring 2021 semester
For more information on application deadlines, interviews and how to contact Head Orientation Mentors with questions, please click here to view the Blue Crew Checklist.
Being a member of the Blue Crew takes priority over outside work obligations and travel plans for the OL class, SROW, and the month of June. Students may not take Session 1 classes over the summer; Session 2 classes will still be an option.