Pre-Orientation is held every year in August before the beginning of classes. Incoming First-Year and First-Semester Transfer Students are invited to get a head start on their UNC Asheville education by delving into the many aspects of their new community, and it offers special-interest programs that showcase Asheville. Participation in Pre-Orientation allows students to move in early to the residence halls and meet fellow students and staff who share their interests.
Pre-Orientation is a program that keeps our students active and engaged throughout the week. Please be prepared for at least a moderate level of physical activity. Each program involves walking, sitting, and participating in group activities throughout the week from breakfast through dinner-time. If you have any concerns about the level of physical activity, please reach out to our office to discuss further! We look forward to having you in the program!
Each program includes meals, instruction, equipment, and transportation.
How do Pre-Orientation Programs affect August move-in?
If you register for Pre-Orientation, this will bump your move-in date from August 10th up to August 6th. You will only need to make one move-in trip on the 6th. Learn more about move-in here.
Question? Email email@example.com
What programs are being offered?
Urban Pre-Orientation Programs
Urban Pre-Orientation programs are peer-led experiences, each focused on a unique topic that will allow students to work with a small group and delve into the Asheville community. These programs will also have an academic component where students will be introduced to faculty and campus partners and begin learning skills to benefit their transition to college. Programs will take place from Saturday, August 6 through Wednesday, August 10, 2022. Students will be able to move into their assigned residence halls early and programs will finish in time for students to join in with campus-wide move-in day activities. It’s a great way to kick off your experience at UNCA and start the semester with a core group of new friends!
- Asheville, A Work of Art: [1 spot left] See first-hand the successful arts scene of Asheville and explore how you can become involved! From on-campus resources to Asheville area alumni and local organizations, you will explore the many facets of art that Asheville embraces.
- All That Jazz: [SOLD OUT- consider signing up for Everything Asheville to get a taste of music in Asheville] Experience the Asheville area’s vibrant music scene on- and off-campus! Visit some of Asheville’s popular music venues and learn from faculty about music and performing arts.
- CSI: Community Service Involvement: Begin your time at UNC Asheville by giving back to your new community through meaningful volunteer work and examining social justice issues. Work with UNC Asheville faculty, staff, and nonprofit organizations committed to helping make our city a better place to live and learn.
- Everything Asheville: Can’t pick just one interest to explore? This is the program for you! There will be elements of community service, music, art, and exploring a few of the gems Asheville has to offer.
Outdoor Pre-Orientation Programs
Outdoor Pre-Orientation programs are peer-led, adventure-based experiences that prepare students for life at UNC Asheville, hosted by Campus Recreation Outdoor Programs. These trips offer participants diverse opportunities to meet other first-year or transfer students, learn about themselves, and be a part of exciting adventure experiences in the area!
Two different models of Outdoor Pre-Orientation are available for incoming first-year and transfer students to choose from. All trips will take place from Saturday, August 6 through Wednesday, August 10, 2022. Students will be able to move into their assigned residence halls prior to the start of their trip, and will end back on campus on the final day to join in with campus-wide move-in day activities. It’s a great way to kick off your experience at UNCA and start with lots of familiar faces!
- Blue Ridge Experience: Participate in a variety of outdoor activities like canoeing, hiking, and rafting. BRE trips will lodge in camp-style rustic cabins and spend time cooking, eating, and living as a community over the course of this 5-day trip, with the guidance of highly-trained peer leaders. Students will spend time each day discussing topics relevant to preparing themselves for their UNC Asheville experience and building new connections! All instruction, equipment, food, and transportation is provided throughout the trip, and no experience is necessary to participate- beginners, outdoor novices, and transfer students are welcome and encouraged to register!
- Wilderness Experience: Come enjoy the peacefulness and exciting challenges of outdoor living on a camping and backpacking adventure in a beautiful location, culminating with rock climbing and a pool party. WE trips will camp and backpack outdoors and spend time cooking, eating, and living as a community over the course of this 5-day trip, with the guidance of highly-trained peer leaders. Students will spend time each day discussing topics relevant to preparing themselves for their UNC Asheville experience and building new connections! All instruction, equipment, food, and transportation is provided throughout the trip, and no experience is necessary to participate- beginners, outdoor novices, and transfer students welcome and encouraged to register!
This cost covers everything for the 5-day programs including meals, instruction, equipment, transportation, and all activities.
Urban Programs: $175
Outdoor Programs: $225
Our aim is to make our programs available to all students who wish to take advantage of this opportunity. Aid and scholarships are available for all programs. Please reach out if you have questions.
Learn about the refund policy here.
Scholarships are available for registered students in certain programs through the Karpinos Scholarship Fund. Students may apply for either the needs-based or service-based scholarship. Scholarships may be full or partial. Learn more about scholarships and how to apply here.
Interested? Learn more about the registration process here.