We realize that your transition to UNC Asheville can come with a lot of questions, so we have compiled a list of the most frequently asked ones! Please check this list for your answer before reaching out to our office.
If you are not able to find your answer on this page, or any of the corresponding EmBark Orientation pages, send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Arriving for EmBark Orientation
A picture of the campus map and the designated parking lot for the EmBark Orientation session will be sent to all incoming students registered to attend via their UNC Asheville email account a few days before move-in.
For GPS use, the university’s address is 1 University Heights, Asheville, NC 28804.
What do I need to bring for EmBark?
If you are living on campus you will be moving into your Fall 2023 housing assignment prior to August EmBark. Please make sure that you bring the following items during the day of EmBark Orientation:
• Wear comfortable shoes: you will be walking to various locations around campus throughout your time at embark, so it’s important to keep comfort in mind when deciding what to pack for embark Orientation.
• If rain is forecast, bring an umbrella. We will have ponchos available for you to use, but with the heavy rains experienced throughout Western North Carolina in the past month, an umbrella is a good choice.
• If you have not yet had the opportunity to submit your immunization records or your final transcripts, please bring copies of them with you to embark Orientation
• A pen and something to take notes with throughout the day. You will receive a folder at check-in with all of the corresponding handouts for embark Orientation, but it’s best to be prepared to take additional notes as well.
• You will be responsible for keeping up with your orientation packet, so if you prefer a tote bag to carry your folder, you’ll need to bring one with you.
I am a Post-Baccalaureate Student at UNC Asheville. Is EmBark Required?
Post-Baccalaureate students are not required to attend Embark Orientation, but are more than welcome to attend if you are interested. If you are a post-baccalaureate student who would like to register for EmBark, you can register here.
What is Pre-Orientation? Is it required to attend?
Pre-Orientation is an optional, week-long program that occurs in July and August. New students are invited to get a head start on their UNC Asheville education by delving into the many aspects of their new community, and it offers special-interest programs that showcase Asheville. Participation in Pre-Orientation allows students to stay in the residence halls and meet fellow students and staff who share their interests. Learn more about our Pre-Orientation programs, here!
I have not yet submitted the required immunization form. Can I still register for classes?
If you are unable to submit all of your required immunizations prior to attending EmBark, you will need to speak with a Health Services representative during EmBark to make arrangements for submitting your immunization records.
Where do I submit my immunization records?
You may submit your immunization records to the Health Services office:
Health and Counseling Center, CPO #3710
One University Heights
Asheville, NC 28804
I have a disability or mobility issues. What accommodations can be made during orientation?
Please notify us prior to attending EmBark to inform us of any accommodation needs on your EmBark Registration form. We will be happy to work with you individually to ensure you are able to participate in EmBark and get the most from the experience, but we will not know of a needed accommodation unless you explicitly inform our office — making a note in your EmBark registration form will help us know how to best accommodate you.
Can I park on campus as a first-year student?
All First-Year (first year students and those with less than 30 credit hours) are permitted to park on campus.
For more information, visit the Transportation and Parking Services website.
What is the best way to contact the EmBark Orientation office if I have additional questions about orientation?
Please first read the information on each of the EmBark webpages. Most of the questions you have will have answers within these pages. If you’re unable to find the answer to your question, email at email@example.com.